söndag 11 september 2016

Reflection on theme 1: Theory of knowledge and theory of science

This week has been a study of acquiring knowledge. 
It started with me missing the first class due to work. Coming from a context with greater focus on practical knowledge, to reading Plato’s Theaetetus and the preface of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, which focuses on knowledge as a theoretical concept, was a bit of a shock. The highly theoretical nature of Kant's text, combined with me asking myself "What I am going to do with this information?" and the difficulties I experienced trying to grasp the concepts, did not put me off to a good start. 

However, after attending the first lecture, the theoretical aspects were more apprehensible, and after the seminar, I felt that I could apply the concept to my own life and incorporate the theories into my perception of knowledge.

So according to Kant, metaphysic questions such as "Is there a free will" cannot be verified empirically. It is a priori (prior to sense experience) discipline that tries to find synthetic judgements. So how are synthetic judgement possible a priori? Kant's answer is through changing the perspective, from human beings conforming to object, to assuming that objects conform to our faculties of knowledge. Let's say I have a brown table. Firstly, the table exists within space and time, since we cannot interpret things outside of it. Secondly, we perceive the brown table using our sense impression. But, it is not enough to fully understand it. Thirdly, we also conceptualize the table, which is the process were the impression is organized according to the twelve Kantian categories. So when I say that I find the table beautiful – I am not reflecting on the table, but my experience of how I am experiencing the table, in a subjective manner according to my infinite. Conception and perceptions form a reciprocal relationship, were we experience the world through our sense perception but we interpret it through our conception of the word. 

During the seminar my group discussed the following themes, which were also brought up in class: 
- Is there a link between questioning your own perception of the world and happiness? 
Does questioning yourself and your perception lead to feelings of anxiety and does the opposite result in happiness, but a stagnation of development? 

- Today we are exposed to more impressions than during Kant's time,  for example,  in the forms of advertisement and updates on social media. These impressions need to be processed. What coping strategies are used to conceptualize these images in an effective manner? If we are exposed to one-sided image of how, for example, a body should look, we might consider these images to be the right way a body should look like. Media has a responsibility and need to be aware of the power of the norms and representation.  

- If the laws, which ultimately build the foundation of our western society, are subjective, why do we conform to them?

My conclusion from working on this theme is that there are no universal truths and that my view of the world is subjectively colored by my previous experiences. This insight has given me a further understanding of the importance of being open-minded, and meeting with people that challenge my current worldview. 



4 kommentarer:

  1. Hi,
    What the interesting questions you've discussed with your group! Actually, in my opinion, your point about the responsibility of media for bringing the wrong or right images to the public is more related to the theme 2, especially the chapter "The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass Deception" in "Dialectic of Enlightenment" by Adorno&Horkheimer but I completely agree with you in the part that nowadays we are intensively bombarded by impressions, and it's getting harder to process them. It made me think about the necessity to invent own "concepts": what are the criteria of reliable information, what's the purpose of any message we get from TV and Internet etc.
    In the matter with law, probably, the answer lies in the fields of biology and sociology: if individuals live in the group, they have either to obey the rules imposed by the majority or leave. Laws were invented to systemise the society and make it easier to coexist.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I though the 3rd question you discussed "If the laws, which ultimately build the foundation of our western society, are subjective, why do we conform to them?" was really interesting, why do we conform to them? And do they need to be updated? A lot of laws and structures we have today, were created in a different time, adapted to a different society. Do we need to update it to fit the society we have today and with all the technological advances and our social progress?

    We also discussed a lot about the fact that we're exposed to more impressions than during Kant's time, and what implications that has. I though "Media has a responsibility and need to be aware of the power of the norms and representation. " brings an interesting debate, what responsibilities does media actually have? We talked a lot about journalism and that kind of media, which has a huge responsibility to educate the society and keep people informed. But do all media carry the same responsibility?

    You bring up a lot of interesting points and seem to have a good grasp of the theme, and I agree with you that the "world is subjectively colored by my previous experiences". And that it's important to be open-minded and interact with people who have different opinions and challenge our way of viewing the world.

    SvaraRadera
  3. You discussed some very interesting questions during you seminar! I would've really appreciated to your answers/opinions about them. You mention the advertisement as one-sided, however, I believe that this isn't necessary so. Looking at a image your perception will play it's part and affect how you understand the advertisement. I believe it is vital to use a critical judgement when exposed to advertisement, because the information it provides isn't necessarily facts, and can sometimes barely be considered knowledge rather than myth. I agree with your idea about the lack of universal truths, and I believe the perception of advertisement is a context where people should take this into consideration.
    It seems like you have understood the concepts of this theme very well, considering how you apply them in your discussion. I am excited to read what kind of questions next theme have to offer.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I like how you express your thoughts. In your blog post you wrote some good conclusions. After reading Kant, I will also (like you) be more receptive to different and new ideas. You hade some interesting discussion within you group, especially the conversation about law, the system of rules. According to your discussion laws are subjective, but in this case, what is subjective? If the same rules hold everyone, is it still subjective? And is it a difference between scientific and moral objectivity? If you have a standard to compere to, you can judge more fairly, and maybe objectively? It would be interesting to discuses further; maybe after reading Kant’s work The Metaphysics of Morals? Anyway well done with your first and second blog post

    SvaraRadera